Z9 and 800mm Full Moon(almost) and an Airplane

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glenn Bloore Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Z9 and 800mm Full Moon(almost) and an Airplane

After walking in to my backyard last night, I noticed not only a beautiful almost full moon but also the airliners coming from the north flying into the lineup for the landing pattern at LAX.

I decided to put my 800 mm on  the Z9 and see if I could get lucky enough to get one crossing the moon.  One thing I immediately noticed was that no matter what I set my camera settings at in terms of ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, the moon was totally blown out in the EVF.  After some discussion this morning with a friend he told me I should try to change the starlight mode and see if that helps.  I will hopefully try that tonight.

I set my camera at ISO 200, 1/1250, F/6.3 and +0.7 exposure compensation.  Even though the moon in the viewfinder continued to be way too bright, the shots looked pretty good.

I handheld the camera and waited for the planes to pass by.  Lots were a little too high or a little too low and finally one was just right.

It was the first time I was able to get the shot I was hoping for and I am quite pleased with the results.  In our world of photography, sadly enough, to the layman, the ultimate compliment has turned into  "Wow, is that really real or is it Photoshopped?"

Fortunately this one was all real and no composite here.

Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow