R5 and R7 hummingbird shots with RF 100-500L

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 265
R5 and R7 hummingbird shots with RF 100-500L

I was able to spend a few days up in Sedona AZ during the hummingbird migration that's currently going on at a private property with a lot of feeders and tons of birds.

I brought both the R5 and R7 and mostly used the RF 100-500 lens between them.

Both cameras did exceptionally well in my opinion.

A bummer about the R7 is the massive amount of rolling shutter when using the all electronic shutter. It made trying the "pre capture" option basically useless as the rolling shutter distortions on the hummingbird wings was just ridiculous. Also everyone around me knew exactly when I was shooting the R7 as the mechanical shutter makes quite the racket! However, those things aside the R7 did a great job. Being able to have the subject and eye tracking in any AF mode was really nice when the birds were moving in and out of feeders and plants.

The R5 is of course a solid camera, the slight issue with trying to use the tracking and eye detection with hummingbirds is that they can be small in the frame, so not always something the camera will lock onto without some coaxing, and by that time they may be gone. The zone options worked pretty well, but would sometimes latch onto the background or something else.

Either way, each camera is still way ahead of any DSLR I've used for this in the past.

The flight shots here were done with a remote flash and trigger while staking out some of the feeders on the property.

Still have a ton of pictures to sort through, but here are a few.

R5 Shots

R7 Shots

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Don
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow