Fujifilm X-S10 vs Nikon Z5 print quality

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
FuzzyDice Contributing Member • Posts: 665
Re: Caution!

FingerPainter wrote:

FuzzyDice wrote:

This whole argument falls apart when you start proclaiming the 35 F/1.4 is Fuji’s best lens.

I didn't proclaim any such thing. Go back and read more carefully, What I actually said was:

You showed the quote below!  Okay Best normal Prime, but even that isn't 100% accurate.  Nikon's S lenses are cool, but I owned the Z6 at the same time as the X-T4.  The 50mm could not resolve the same level of detail as the 23mm F/1.4 Fuji could and that's sharper than the 35.

"Lets look at a sample case, comparing Fujifilm's best? current normal prime with Nikon's worst normal prime: the XF 35mm f/1.4 R vs the Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S.

I've highlighted a couple things you seem to have missed.

I questioned whether it was actually best, and I was talking about normal primes only. not wide-angle or telephoto primes.

It is a favorite lens because of the 3D Character between F/2.8 and F/4.  Sharpness isn't the only aspect of a lens by which people will judge the image quality.

As for lenstip, they did most of their tests on a 16 MP Sensor and haven't updated them for the newer sensors with regards to the Fuji reviews.  The Sony I believe was an A7R2, so it isn't great for cross company comparisons.

Yes people like that lens for its character, but when it comes to optical sharpness and clarity it is not the best Fuji lens on the market.

The 50 F/2, the 90 F/2, several of the newer variants, crud, even the 23 F/1.4 is a sharper lens than the 35mm.

None of those are normal lenses. On APS-C, a normal prime would be have a focal length between 28mm and 40mm.

23 is 35, that's a normal lens.  27 is 40mm that's a normal range.  Both are sharper than the 35.  Also, the 33 is likely sharper as it is newer and designed for higher end bodies.

If you think there is a sharper Fuji lens in that focal length range, let's look at it.

I agree that the 23mm is sharper than Fuji's normal lenses. Compared to the Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.8 S, it will be almost as sharp, probably close enough for it to be hard to see the difference.

The Nikon S lenses are not as good, sorry...  They have several issues depending on where they're built.

also, on every resolution chart, the Fuji’s compete agains the 24 MP Full frame sensors and do very well.

Examples?

If you want resolution charts just look on here, the evidence is everywhere.

FuzzyDice's gear list:FuzzyDice's gear list
Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow