Lens suggestions for new M43 user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ap3nw New Member • Posts: 7
Lens suggestions for new M43 user

Hey all,

About a month back I made a post on the buying advice forum looking for suggestions on camera systems for a beginner getting into wildlife photography (thread).

Since then, I can say with more certainty that I'd like to buy into the m43 ecosystem, and will look to purchase a used E-M1 Mark II.

However, I'd like to get this forums thoughts on lenses.

As far as potential photo subjects, I'd rank my priorities as:

1. Wildlife (birds, other local wildlife in the Pacific Northwest)

2. Landscapes

3. Dabble in street photography

Ultimately I'd be quite happy if I could get nice prints of at least 10 x 10 inches.

In my previous thread I stated I was trying to keep the budget under $1500, but I've come to realize that may be challenging, despite intending to purchase secondhand gear.

Here are some lenses I'm considering.

- 300mm f4 pro. The most expensive single lens I'm considering, but is it's quality really worth the cost over something like the 100-400?

- 100-400mm f5-6.3

- 40-150mm f2.8 pro + 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter

- 75-300mm II

- 12-100mm f4 pro

- 12-40mm f2.8 pro

- 17mm 1.8

For total cost of lenses, I'd like to keep it at the cost of the (secondhand ~$2000) 300mm f4 pro in total. In other words, either just get the 300mm alone or some other combination of lenses that would offer more versatility.

I'm sure each of these lenses can deliver truly excellent shots with the right conditions, and the right person behind the camera. But, I genuinely value this community's opinions and experience, and would love to see what you might recommend for someone just getting into the m43 world.

Thanks in advance

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow