Upgrading Linux monitor and graphics card for image editing....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Don_Campbell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098
Upgrading Linux monitor and graphics card for image editing....

So, a monitor bug has prompted me to upgrade my 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor in size and resolution. That in turn will likely require an upgrade to my GPU. Some details:

The bug was a tiny spider that crawled up inside between the transparent screen cover and the LCD layer and then died right in the middle of the screen. The monitor is going on 12 years old and so replacement seems useful in any event.

I have found the marketing of graphic cards is so concentrated toward gamers (not me) that they rarely make it easy to find the maximum resolution and screen update rate in their specification listings. I realize that gamers are highly concerned with high frame rates at lower resolutions and the data specs are mostly concerning significantly lower resolutions than would be useful for photo editing.

For years I have had two boxes with passively cooled graphics cards but they are not going to take me beyond the screen resolution I'm upgrading from. I've looked and found newer fanless GPUs from ASUS and MSI that could maybe do the job but the specs are listed differently in different documents  on the same cards. They're really quite careless about the numbers as if it is irrelevant to real customers.

Some of that confusion may arise because both vendors have multiple versions with and without fans that use the same Nvidia chipsets. I've seen instances where they have different connectors with different similar versions that may affect how they report resolutions.

The problem is also one of the chicken and egg kind: I'd like to know ahead of time if I can get away with a quiet fanless card and still have 4K. If I can't, I might settle for 27" and 2K. Without knowing in advance I might find I have a 4K monitor with a card that can only do 2K and therefore isn't as sharp because of the mismatch of resolutions

So, does anyone know of a card that will do 4K at 60hz, is passively cooled and doesn't cost like it will take a gamer to gaming heaven? Thanks in advance for any experience you can share.

Don

Don_Campbell's gear list:Don_Campbell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow