Canon 300 f2.8 IS II user considering the 100-500mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,400
Canon 300 f2.8 IS II user considering the 100-500mm

For a few years now I've been using my Canon 300 f2.8 IS II + 1.4x III for aircraft in flight. It's an excellent lens: IQ is super sharp and AF performance is very good. I only use this lens at air shows, always hand held and at 420mm. I consider this lens my baby.

I've been looking into the Canon 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 lens. It would also be used for flying aircraft. From the photos I see posted on the net, its IQ is also very good. Since I shoot air shows in good daylight, I don't think f4.5-7.1 will be a problem.

There is a lot to like about the 100-500mm...smaller and 2 lbs lighter than my 300 f2.8. That's a big benefit when hand holding the camera/lens all day.

It's also a zoom lens - another big plus. And even with out an extender the lens gives me 80mm more reach compared to my 300 + 1.4x combo.

But now here's the really big benefit of the 100-500mm (or so I think). If I use it with my R7 I get hybrid image stabilization. Coordinated control: both optical IS of the lens combined with in-body camera IS. This will be excellent with pitch/yaw movement that occurs when panning. Especially panning propeller aircraft at low shutter speeds.

Wow, what's not to like?

The only thing that concerns me is this...I consider myself a sharpness freak. Love razor sharp photos. And the 300 f2.8 provides. Will the 100-500mm also satisfy me?

Thanks for your opinions!

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow