iPhone HDR like photos from full frame mirrorless camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
IdanL123 Junior Member • Posts: 25
iPhone HDR like photos from full frame mirrorless camera

Hi All !

For a while now I've been really enjoying the iPhone's HDR photos. Now, just so I'm not confusing you, I'm talking about the extra brightness the iPhone shows in bright highlights. Not necessarily the merging of multiple exposure shots.

I had a full frame camera that couldn't do that and I was quite disappointed. I don't shoot raw because those are big files and I'm not big on editing. I just wanted the photos to have HDR like the iPhone does it but with the quality that comes from having a big sensor.

Well, I took a chance with another camera hoping I would get the HDR effect I so desire and here are the results.

https://youtu.be/g4s4W394t3U

You must watch this on an HDR screen of course!

In that video, I had to place an HDR video in the beginning to trigger HDR in my editing software. After that, they are all images straight out of my camera with no editing.

I was very excited with the results!
I hope this thread makes anyone interested in taking iPhone like HDR photos aware that it is possible to do with a camera!

The camera used is the Sony a7iv shooting in HEIF file format with HLG turned on.

I think canon offers a similar format on their latest cameras but I haven't tried it myself.

IdanL123's gear list:IdanL123's gear list
Sony a7 IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow