RF 100-400, a great companion to the R7

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alastair Norcross
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 9,077
RF 100-400, a great companion to the R7

The RF 100-400 is only $599 right now, so I bought it on impulse. I've just received it, and went into my back yard to give it a quick try. I am very impressed so far. It is replacing my Tamron 100-400. It's so much smaller and lighter, even alone. Add in the mount adapter to the Tamron, and the new RF feels like nothing at all. It's also lightning quick to AF, and, from a few test shots at least, sharper than the Tamron. All in all, the advantages seem to more than outweigh the 2/3 stop loss of light. Here are a few bug shots. I happened to see these beetles getting a bit frisky on the leaf of a tree I was pointing the camera at:

Now, I just have to package up my Tamron and 1.4X converter, and send them off to MPB. I think I'll pick up the RF 1.4X to go with this lens too.

-- hide signature --

“When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car.” Jack Handey
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +28 more
Canon EOS R7 Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow