Getting the most accurate color in scans of old documents, photographs, etc.

Started Aug 10, 2022 | Questions thread
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Getting the most accurate color in scans of old documents, photographs, etc.

GTaillefer wrote:

Thank you so much for the response Overrank! So as the page that you quoted implies, you can measure the color accuracy that the scanner that you are using has on your scans. Does this mean that at any point after my scans I could use those calculations from that software in order to show (but not edit maybe make a seperate file) what the original colors were? And in that case would a color checker make for more precise measurements? Thanks

When you scan a colour target the software knows what colour each patch should be and so it can construct a mapping from what each colour  scanned as, and what it should be.  It can then use this information to map back the scanned colours to the correct colours.  I would have thought it best to do this shortly after the scan rather than assuming you can do it in the future.  The colours are pretty standardised though, which is why the scan you linked to included one of the colour target.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow