How well do old manual focus lenses work on your mirrorless camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iljitsch Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
How well do old manual focus lenses work on your mirrorless camera?

One cool thing about mirrorless cameras is that they all reduced their flange distance so it's possible to have simple adapters from any old SLR lens mount to any mirrorless mount.

Well, old school manual focus lenses, at least.

So I'm wondering: how is the experience using various types of manual focus lenses on your brand/type of mirrorless camera?

As a Nikon user, I'm somewhat disappointed that Nikon's manual focus lenses from the 1970s and 1980s aren't supported as well on my new mirrorless Z fc as they are on my D7100 DSLR from 2014. Nikon does have an FTZ adapter that supports their more recent (since the early 2000s) autofocus lenses fully.

That adapter will also take pretty much all older lenses, but the problem is that with manual focus lenses, there is no coupling with the aperture ring like higher end Nikon DSLRs still have to be able to use old manual focus lenses fully.

But even more annoying, with manual focus lenses (old or new) that don't have any electronics, the camera won't use its focus sensors to give you feedback on your focus. The DSLRs do do this, making it super easy to manually focus. To be fair, you do get focus peaking and viewfinder magnification, but the peaking is not accurate enough and the magnification makes everything much slower.

So I was wondering how the situation is on the other side of various fences.

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow