For that price it's a gem

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quintana Contributing Member • Posts: 505
For that price it's a gem

I bought this lens in a Z50 + 2 lens kit and especially then it is really cheap. But even the retail price of 400 Euros for the lens only is appropriate considering its quality.

Yes it has a plastic mount but I never really cared much about this. In this price class I find it totally acceptable. And the lens is really light with only 405g so I don't think that a metal mount would be really necessary here.

Of course it feels cheaper than the S line lenses but again: it is a small and light telezoom with a very versatile range of 50-250mm (75-375mm full frame equivalent).

The image quality is very good. I wouldn't hesitate to use this lens wide open at any focal length because it is sharp straight into the corners. Of course they benefit from stopping down and towards the long end they get a bit weaker but they are far from being unuseful.

Other aberrations are also well controlled except for vignetting. From 100-135mm until the long end there is some distinct vignetting that kicks in quite suddenly in the most extreme corners and even stopping down to f/8 doesn't bring it to negligible levels. Luckily it can easily be taken care of in post processing but the vignetting still brings my rating down to 4.5 stars plus the fact that Nikon charges almost 40 Euros for the lens hood that isn't supplied with the lens but clones from JJC for example can be bought much cheaper.

The lens is almost a must for Z50 owners but also Z7 / Z7II / Z9 users might be interested because in DX mode it still leaves you with about 19.5 MP so only slightly less than what a Z50 offers and since Nikon doesn't offer a Z 70-200/4 or Z 70-300/4-5.6 (yet) and I find the Z 70-200/2.8 too heavy and bulky for hiking this lens will cover my tele needs when the 180mm FF equivalent of my Z 24-120/4 used in DX mode is still not enough.

I also find it quite satisfying that attached to my Z50 it is still some 100 grams lighter than the Z 70-200/2.8 on its own and if I have the Z 24-70/4 or Z 24-120/4 on my Z7 the need for lens changes is pretty much eliminated when I'm hiking.

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR +2 more
Nikon Nikkor Z DX 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon Z
Announced: Oct 10, 2019
quintana's score
Average community score
Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow