Interesting thing about IS EF and EF-S lenses on the R7

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhilOlenick
PhilOlenick Junior Member • Posts: 37
Interesting thing about IS EF and EF-S lenses on the R7

Just got my R7 last week and was dismayed that the menu setting for turning standard IS (lens + IBIS) showed up when the kit RF-S lens was mounted but not when my EF and EF-S were on the R7 with the EF to RF adapter, only the setting for digital stabilization.

So I searched the manual for the word "stabilization" and found, on page 290 or 963, the following:

"When using IS lenses that do not have an IS switch, set [IS Mode] to [On]. Note that the [IS Mode] setting is not displayed when you are using IS lenses that have an IS switch. [Emphasis mine] In that case, setting the lens IS switch to <On> combines stabilization by the camera and lens."

The RF-S kit lens has no IS switch, which is why that menu item is displayed. All of my other lenses do have on-off switches for image stabilization - which is why that menu setting is not displayed when any of them is being used. The R7 does support their image stabilization - and supplement it with in-body sensor stabilization - it just doesn't have an on-screen switch for it because there's a slide switch on the lens for that

PhilOlenick's gear list:PhilOlenick's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R7 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow