Switching from Sony A7C to Fuji XT4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Triodine New Member • Posts: 8
Switching from Sony A7C to Fuji XT4

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the forum and wondered if you all could help me solve a dilemma I've found myself in.

I'm going to be motorcycling through Asia this fall/winter, and I'm thinking about switching to a fuji xt4, mainly due to being able to shoot with film simulations. I love the dials on the top since I'm a full manual shooter (I shoot film too) but also be able to shrink my kit down a bit.

I've been shooting with the A7C since it launched last year and overall I love the camera. I have some gm primes, and I think the images I get out of it are fantastic after post-processing. My only real complaint about the system is that I feel like I spend more time in menus than actually shooting sometimes. Gmaster lenses are pretty large, and my pack space is going to be super limited. If I stuck with my Sony, I would only be able to shoot/bring primes with me. With a Fuji, I could fit a few primes and a zoom or two.

I'm primarily a photo shooter and pretty much never do anything with video. Though, I do plan on shooting quite a bit in low light conditions (night markets, etc). My shooting/editing style is similar to shooting on film anyways, so usually I end up trying to mimic a "film look" in my edits in some capacity. This is why the XT4 with the film simulations seems like a no-brainer for me.

My biggest fear is the loss in IQ and low light capabilities switching between the two sensors.  I know there are some differences but between these two specific cameras, is it even that noticeable? I've tried looking at comparisons online but I haven't found much comparing the two in real-world settings.

Would switching from an A7C to an XT4 be a significant downgrade? Or would it only end up being pretty marginal in terms of IQ/low light?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow