"Is there an equivalent of Ansel Adams books for film, but in the digital realm."

Started Aug 9, 2022 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dvdFinn New Member • Posts: 12
"Is there an equivalent of Ansel Adams books for film, but in the digital realm."

Those of you who come from the film age might have read the incredible Ansel Adams Books on camera, film, and printing technique. They certainly took my technical skills to a new level. Unfortunately, my digital knowledge has some holes, and I need to gain a more complete understanding of the tool chain and processes.

A good example of whats vexing me currently is adjusting curves in photoshop. Its so damn variable and so easy to do whatever you want to the image that I have no idea how to preserve tone continuity. How does one determine the threshold for observable banding.  I often end up with posterizing that I can't see until I come back to the image later. Even something like colour profiles is giving me headaches, since I didn't realize I had a generic profile for my monitor and I couldn't understand why my imported raw files looked so garish. I really need a process.

The beauty of the AA books is that they clearly describe a system approach to achieving visualized results. I'm currently tripping over small individual steps without a broader scale approach.

What should I be reading or watching?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow