Whale Photo - Comparing Z9 to Canon 7D Mark II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JesL Junior Member • Posts: 28
Whale Photo - Comparing Z9 to Canon 7D Mark II

Hello,

I'm hoping the community can help here. I've always generally been a little bit underwhelmed by the sharpness that I'm getting with my Z9 kit. I have an interesting comparison here that might illustrate some of this.

Here are two photos that were taken within a second of each other on a whale watching trip (for some reason the Z9 didn't grab a GPS fix and didn't set the correct time). One is my photo, taken on my Z9 with the Z100-400 f/4.5-5.6 + 1.4 TC.

My photo. Z9, Z100-400 f/4.5-5.6 + 1.4TC. f/10, 1/2000, ISO500.

The other was taken by the tour operator on their 7DMII with the EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6.

Tour operator photo. 7DMII, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6. f/8, 1/500, ISO100

I did my best to crop my photo to the same scene that they did (they were framed slightly differently), and they're roughly the same resulting resolution. Mine wasn't otherwise modified. I don't know about theirs.

Here's a 700x700 crop comparison:

I was shooting f/10, 1/2000, ISO500. 3D autofocus mode, and the camera shows the focus box on the whale. They were at f/8, 1/500, ISO100. I don't have info about their focus settings. I had a monopod with a Wimberley gimbal head on a rubber mat. They were handheld.

So there are quite a few differences, but overall I would say that her shot is quite a bit better.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow