2nd weekend birding A7IV and 200-600

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,426
2nd weekend birding A7IV and 200-600

I had much better light in some ways this weekend that my first weekend out, only problem with the better light though was more heat haze at longer distances.  I am really, really enjoying my switch to Sony from Canon R6.  I feel like the AF tracking picks up birds in flight more confidently, quickly and tracks them so effortlessly.  The two other guys I was with had a Canon R6 and RF800 F11, and the other a Z9 and 500PF (plus 1.4 TC).  I was the only one who got this shot, and we were all set and ready for him to take flight.

And it was not just this shot I chose, I probably had 5-6 useable edits from this series.  Sure, you can chalk a lot up to technique and experience, but honestly, I probably had the least field practice of the group.  The AF setup I have just makes my job easier and more reliable.

Here are some other BIF snaps.

And each one of these was my top pick from a series of perfectly nailed focused images from 5-10 second flyovers.  Sure, not all of these are amazing photos, but given the time of year and that this is just practice for fall migrations for me, I could not feel more confident in my ability to have great success with this setup.

To give an idea of how insane the tracking is, here is a uncrowned files of the tern above fishing about 400+ feet out from the dock I was on.  The AF just locked on the bird no matter where it went in frame.

I had a monopod and gimble head to steady me, but still, tracking a diving bird that far out was just remarkably easy compared to how things felt with my Canon setup.

Conclusion, I am very pleased to have made this move for my birding setup.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Sony a7 IV Tokina Opera 50mm F1.4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a7 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow