Abbotsford Airshow

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,233
Abbotsford Airshow

The full meal deal Abbotsford Airshow returned this past weekend after a three year hiatus: two years of nothing and one year of low key view-from-the-parking-area action. I met some friends that came up from the US and spent a lovely day in all but completely windless, scorching, sunshine and 34°C temperatures. Some of the images I got:

The show started with fast and furious action by the USAF Thunderbirds in their F16s. I really struggled with these as a) they were FAST, b) due to the lack of wind, the smoke from their trails lingered and obscured matters and c) unfortunately viewing at Abbotsford is from the north of the east-west show line, leaving the "dark side" of the aircraft to the crowd against a very bright sunshiny background.

Classic B17 Flying Fortress:

A NORAD display: US F15C and RCAF representing joint NORAD activities

We were treated to a lovely display of smooth, fluid flying of a T-33 Shooting Star

More warbirds: A-1 Skyraider and SBD Dauntless

Skyraider on its own:

Great show by the Ghostwriter Airshows Super Chipmunk. Your grandfather's regular cooking ab initio flying training Chipmunk this emphatically ain't!

Canadian Red Bull air race competitor was there with his what I believe is a Zivko Edge 540 aircraft. Note that, to show prop blur, I use a slowish 1/250th shutter speed. In addition to being a challenge/pain to track aircraft to avoid motion blur, the below photograph gives an indication of the absurdly high roll rate (420° per second, i.e. more than a full rotation a second!) with the wing on the right as you look at the photograph showing significant motion blur.

What an A-10 Warthog pilot's office looks like:

It was a long and tiring day for my old bones but a pleasure nonetheless

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow