What’s happening to the G5X II?

Started Aug 7, 2022 | Questions thread
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 6,818
Re: What’s happening to the G5X II?

DjangoChained wrote:

jackwelch wrote:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/Panasonic-Nikon-quit-developing-low-end-compact-digital-cameras

Yeah but the G5x? That's not a low end model is it...

Unfortunately it is compared to current production priority of APS-C/ FF mirrorless cameras—e.g., recently released Canon "R" bodies and "RF" lenses.

As posted in my previous post:
"Canon says the camera market has 'largely bottomed out,' expects pro and 'advanced amateur' segments to grow"

"... In other words, entry-level cameras will be taking a backseat to higher-end models, which also have the added benefit of typically providing higher profit margins. ..."
(bold emphasis added by me)

IMO all the camera mfgs want to remain competitive, and not fall behind in these type of cameras; even Panasonic a die-hard four-thirds system is now making FF cameras.

... I'd really be interested in a successor for my Rx100, with a better EVF and AF system than the G5x II... In other words, a G5x III. ...

Be a long wait, if ever. Probably be quicker/ better off saving up for a RX100 VA, or RX100 VII.

... Not even Sony has announced something, and they used to releasedl new Rx100 versions like clockwork, every year...

Past several years not really:
DPR Sony Product Timeline

... Pity.

Agree.

Need to keep in mind the majority of cameras, chips, etc. are made in China where Covid-19 pandemic has and still is hampering production/ shipping.

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
(unknown member)
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow