Second Results with R10 + 100-400 + 1.4x extender

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karen Casebeer
Karen Casebeer Contributing Member • Posts: 873
Second Results with R10 + 100-400 + 1.4x extender

We've had two days of torrential rains in northwestern Lower Michigan, so when the rain stopped and my new extender arrived, I couldn't resist heading out last evening.  It was still very gloomy with low light conditions.  Still, I had quite the haul:  2 Great Blue Herons in different settings, a Green Heron, two deer, three Sandhill Cranes (one a juvenile), and a brood of one and two-year-old Ring-necked pheasants!

As per some of your suggestions on my first set of images, I upped the minimum shutter speed to 1/1000. My question is, should I keep it there or return to 1/500?

I love the R10 + 100-400 + 1.4x combination.  It was great to have that extra reach.  It's so nice to have an integrated system versus piecing everything together as I was doing with the m6ii.

The biggest problem I see is the NOISE.  There's a lot of it.  I have the ISO set at a max of 6400.  I'm sure the low light conditions were a factor, plus the f/11 aperture.  Any input on that?

I know some of you will continue to recommend shooting raw, but I'm not willing to go that route again.  Trying to keep it simple.

So I've posted six SOOC jpegs below.  The seventh is one with some light post-processing.  Let me know what you think.

Karen Casebeer's gear list:Karen Casebeer's gear list
Canon EOS M50 II Canon EOS R10 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
Canon EOS R10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow