R7 buffer clearing time with V60 and V90 cards

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sudek
Sudek Forum Member • Posts: 93
R7 buffer clearing time with V60 and V90 cards

I have both V60 and V90 UHS-II cards, and often wonder if V90 cards are worth the extra cost when used with R7, which has a smaller buffer compared to higher end bodies. (I think it is 1.25GB ) I made some quick tests to figure out. Here are my results if anyone is interested:

I used Lexar 1667x V60 UHS-II and Lexar 2000x V90 UHS-II cards. (I have couple of those and their speeds are not identical even for the same type. I picked the ones that are slightly faster than others).

I use cRAW format. The files are about 23MB each. Photos are simple and reasonably exposed. The results would depend on many factors, like file size and exposure. Lighting and other conditions were unchanged during the shots.

* Lexar 1667x V60 UHS-II --> I can get 50 shots in 1.6 seconds and then the buffer is full. It takes 3.34 seconds to clear the buffer and the camera resumes taking photos.

* Lexar 2000x V90 UHS-II --> Again, I can get 50 shots in 1.6 seconds before the buffer is full. But this time it takes only 1.54 seconds to clear the buffer.

Is the higher price of V90 cards justified? I think so. 1.6 seconds is very short but 50 shots is a reasonable number for me and the buffer clears in less than 2 seconds.

Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow