How to keep this forum civilized Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 13,295
How to keep this forum civilized

In order to understand where I am coming from you will need to have experienced online bullying. I had my fair share of below the belt attacks here where sometimes posts were deleted and sometimes they stayed.

I am not talking about robust debate, but deeply personal comments. I typically let it go, but will say that on occasion it has spoiled my day.

Could give some examples where people suggested self-harm (to soften the real term that was used) or finding out where I lived (I changed my original details of my actual location to a more general one).

But those posts in question stayed for a little while and I have to admit that what bugged me most was the vocal bystanders who thought it was all a big joke, added a "like" and an "I am with you on this" comment.

I originally started participating here on dpreview at a time where you could directly contact Phil Askey in the early 2000s lost my password, email address invalid and got a new one, the one I am using now, so have seen a fair bit of bullying before it was a term.

Free speech is one thing, but this piling up likes for insults on that "Ken" thread reminded me of those times when I was at the receiving end.

I guess nothing breached any rules, but, boy, this is a bad look for a forum about photography.

If I was new to Fuji - or dpreview - this would put me right off. Not because I am a close buddy of Ken, far from it, but because I dislike the tone and direction of that thread.

Could this thread in question possibly be deleted? Start again at post one and then try again? Not violating any rules, huh?

Pity.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7 IV Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow