Reluctant D750 SLR user wondering about switching to Z7

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rbach44 New Member • Posts: 6
Reluctant D750 SLR user wondering about switching to Z7

I rather like my D750 but due to changing needs, I wonder if it may be time to switch to mirrorless. Namely a Z7. Not necessarily for the extra pixels at full frame, but for ISO 64 and to the ability switch to a DX frame with enough quality pixels in a pinch. It will be used for landscape, travel, and as a general high IQ camera. I have plenty of other cameras for other needs

Here are my reasons for considering the switch:
• My standard for lens quality seem to be creeping ever higher, but my threshold for heavier lenses seems to be getting lower and lower.
• I also seem to be getting picker about exposure, and like the idea of real time exposure preview through the finder.
• I find I just cannot settle on a high quality mid range zoom (what I usually use with my full frame cameras) that isn't enormous, limited in range, or both in F mount. The Z7 + 24-120 S combo seems like a fair compromise in all of these areas.
• I never use a tripod and the IBIS sounds pretty great, especially since I find myself habitually stopping down more than before.
• I find manual focus for my manual lens collection pretty hit or miss on a modern SLR unless stopped way down.

Here are the reason I am hesitant:
• I actually like the experience of an OVF over and EVF. Not quite rational, but I just do. Granted EVFs have gotten MUCH better since I started using mirrorless cameras...
• The D750 grip fits my (larger) hands like a glove, I worry that the Z7 may be a bit small without an extra and potentially heavy/awkward accessory grip.
• I generally like the ergonomics of a larger SLR. The heavier camera and lighter lens combination suits me.
• Lens adaptability looks great for the Z7, but I wonder if use may be limited in the real world. Most of those adapter combinations make the whole kit seem rather unergononic or a bit goofy overall.
• I am just plain used to my Nikon DSLRs. The D750 is is my 5th after all...

Has anyone else made a similar switch? Any thoughts either way?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HRS
HRS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow