Limits of my camera and lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stevet1 Contributing Member • Posts: 975
Limits of my camera and lens?

I'm wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

I took these last night. It was about 7:30 PM in the first week of August. I wanted to capture the moon shining through a gap in the leaves of a nearby tree, and I wound up with a hazy, blurry mess.

I was in aperture priority mode, and in looking at the EXIF data, I noticed that the camera had maxed out the ISO at 12800 and set the shutter speed at1/13.

So, my questions are:

Was 1/13 too slow for handheld? Should I have used a tripod?

ShouldI have put the camera in Manual and deliberately set a faster shutter speed? Was the blurry moon the result of the 1/13th speed, or just trying to do it handheld?

Was there just not enough light for autofocus to work? Should I have switched over to manual focus? The light was so dim, I can't tell if the leaves are in focus, and the moon is out of focus - which is not what I wanted. I had the camera in single point and aimed at the moon, but I'm wondering if the camera overrode me and chose the nearby elements of the leaves.

The night sky wasn't nearly so bright blue as it seems in the photos. It was actually quite dark. Should I have taken it out of auto ISO?

It looks like I've got lens flare going on in the first photo. Is that the result of pointing the camera directly at the light source?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Steve Thomas

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow