Lets Settle This: Is DNG A Raw?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnSil
JohnSil Regular Member • Posts: 474
Lets Settle This: Is DNG A Raw?

I'm pretty new here but have already seen many questions asked about DNG. There is a thread going on "why don't more manufacturers use DNG" and at least one other. That's not the subject here. But when a manufacturer uses DNG then it IS a Raw for that manufacturer. But when you load a Canon or Nikon file, among others, into PS or LR, the resulting file is a DNG Tiff and no longer a Raw. This I posted in another Thread:

"DNG is just another form of Tiff, just like a Raw. BUT the only true Raw is what came out of the camera and once converted to DNG and the Raw is erased, that Raw is gone forever. You need to look no further than if you have a lot of presets, set in your camera. When you convert to DNG, those are GONE, lets call it "missing information" which is what a Raw does not have"!

Adobe, the creator of DNG, is getting better and better and recognizing important information in a Corporate Raw and including some of it but not all. Since at DNG conversion some of this information is dumped, the remainder cannot be a true Raw. Some may say that the missing information was in a "side car" only, so the lost information was not truly part of the Raw?

For example if I have programmed "Dust Delete" in formation and "Sharpening" information in my original preset camera information, I'm pretty sure it would NOT be included in my DNG conversion and would have to be rebuild it in PS or LR.

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about Raw, Tiff or DNG.  So the big question is....., Is there any danger of losing any information or adding information(artifacts) by the act of dumping all of our original Raw files into, say, LR for cataloging them, then formatting our memory cards and losing the original Raw produced by the camera for ever?  Many are comfortable doing this but that does not make DNG a Raw.

John

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow