How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,007
Re: Only one possibility

stephband wrote:

Thank you, that's helpful.

You will see that these images are wider and higher than your original, which you presumably cropped?

No, these are straight from the camera. But I shoot in a 16:9 frame on a 4:3 sensor. The 16:9 crop is preserved when importing the RAW file into RAW Power or into Pixelmator, or when previewing in the Finder on a Mac. So the crop info must be stored in the RAW data even though the full 4:3 image is there. Clearly it isn't preserved when you import into PhotoLab. It also isn't preserved if I convert my RAW files to .dng files.

But note that your image was also noticeably narrower, and not just shallower, than the PhotoLab rendering. Your camera and raw rendering have unnecessarily lost information from the sides of the image, and not just the top and bottom as you intended. It's made your lens appear narrower than the actual hardware is capable of. That's a sign of poor lens distortion correction in both the camera and the raw processor.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow