Using a TTL flash for wedding advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thecamdimarco New Member • Posts: 1
Using a TTL flash for wedding advice

Hello! So im newish to photography, and will be shooting my first wedding this weekend. I also have another in less than a month! Im super stoked for the opportunity for both, and I was just wanting some tips to take with me for the future.

So currently, I have a Sony A7RII with a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens, and a TTL flash. I have yet to use the flash for anything. The flash is not super expensive, but I've talked to another wedding photographer who mentioned that its inexpensive and is easy to use and will easily get the job done. The flash is a neewer NW 635. I know its cheap, but when messing around with it, it takes decent pictures with the flash.

Anyways, my main questions is this:

1. When should it be appropriate to use a TTL flash? And when should I shoot in manual?

2. Depending on my shooting scenario, should I always have my flash on an angle?

Note: the wedding is outside, but the reception is inside a small wedding barn/tent.

I believe the best scenario for a TTL is for faster moving subjects? And then use the flash on manual for people sitting down, slow dancing etc.

3. The last question is, is do i need to use a diffuser for the flash at all times? The flash I have came with a small plastic hard diffuser, and didn't know if it would be appropriate to use it at all times or not.

All in all, I just want some good scenarios/pointers on when and when not to use a TTL flash.

Anything helps!

Thank you!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow