How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
BobKnDP Senior Member • Posts: 2,296
Re: Disagree about raw

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Camera RAW is unprocessed. The computer software has to do all corrections, including converting the image (commonly a Bayer mosaic) to RGB for all pixels, and applying lens corrections. (Lens corrections typically include distortion and vignetting. Lateral color correction, which gives one type of color fringing, may also be done.)

Jim Kasson (a sometimes-moderator and regular participant at various times in the medium format, Nikon, and Sony forums) has shown pretty well that very few camera 'raw' files are truly raw, and the real question is how much and what type of processing has occurred. The most infamous current cooking of 'raw' files is noise reduction applied to Canon R-series 'raw' files, although in the past other companies have done similar things. Other processing includes, but is not limited to, substituting and interpolating to fill PDAF pixels. So although pretty much any 'raw' is much less cooked than a JPEG, it's rarely actually raw, and the question is what and how much has been done.

Do you have any links about Canon R raw in-camera noise reduction ready to hand?

Sure. I know Photos to Photos has published about this. Take a look at, e.g., a PtP chart comparing the Canon R5, Nikon Z7 II, and Sony A7R IV:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%20R5,Nikon%20Z%207II,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4

As you can see, the R5 data points are downward-pointing triangles where "triangle down indicates noise reduction" but the Z7 II and A7R IV are circles.

Thanks.

Seems strange. Noise reduction in the R5 raws below ISO 600, but not above (until 102400)?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow