How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,098
Re: Only one possibility

stephband wrote:

Thanks, that is useful. Although about the histogram, in RAW Power it does change when you switch Gamut Map OFF, and in Pixelmator it does not when you do the equivalent and switch EDR mode ON. I am beginning to suspect Pixelmator may be at fault here.

A link to your RAW would go a long way in helping us help you.

Yes, sorry, it is here...

stephen.band/test/PANA4186.RW2

My question now is, how do you guys compose bracketed photos together, for example to create a HDR edit of several exposures? The software I have will process one RAW file at a time. In Pixelmator Pro, you can switch wide gamut on (EDR - ON) for a single RAW layer, but as soon as you add another layer it is automatically switched off. Do the RAW files need to be processed and 'flattened' before you edit them together?

With PhotoLab, you can copy and paste raw processing settings, so you can ensure that all the images in a stack are identically processed.

I put your raw file through PhotoLab 5, using several different settings for the Smart Lighting (which controls how the background is lit):

Your camera JPEG. Has this been cropped?  It appears to have been.

PhotoLab 5, Smart Lighting OFF

PhotoLab 5, SL=25

PL5, SL=50

PL5, SL=75

Which one you prefer might depend on whether you want the spectators to be seen or hidden.

You will see that these images are wider and higher than your original, which you presumably cropped?

You can see that PL5 has dealt with the highlights better:

PhotoLab has retained much more details in the bright areas

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow