How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,082
Re: Only one possibility

stephband wrote:

I sort of understood that to be the case, but I hadn't fully realised that ALL of these processes are being done by the computer.

When editing RAW photos with lens correction, it's ON by default in Pixelmator. There is no control to switch it off. But that's only the case if you had it ON in the camera. That's what led me to believe the camera was doing that. Instead, I guess it must be simply flagged as ON in the RAW data so that Pixelmator/Mac can redo it.

Yes. With some cameras, the lens correction data is stored in the raw file, and applied by the raw processor. Some processors let you choose not to apply it, some don't. And they may sometimes apply different, possibly superior, lens corrections. For example, with PhotoLab, it's often possible to get a wider image than the in-camera JPEG.

Just to be clear, you are saying this applies to ALL processes? I can completely ignore White Balance in the camera because I am processing it myself in RAW editing? This would be useful to me because on the Lumix I can assign the WB button to a more useful function.

Yes, the camera WB setting is recorded in the raw file exif data, but doesn't affect the image data, and can be used or ignored during processing. I leave it at AWB in all my cameras, and override as needed during processing in PhotoLab, which gives an option to process WB 'as shot'. I often use the picked to set the WB based on a grey area in the shot.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow