How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 6,211
Re: Only one possibility

stephband wrote:

I sort of understood that to be the case, but I hadn't fully realised that ALL of these processes are being done by the computer.

When editing RAW photos with lens correction, it's ON by default in Pixelmator. There is no control to switch it off. But that's only the case if you had it ON in the camera. That's what led me to believe the camera was doing that. Instead, I guess it must be simply flagged as ON in the RAW data so that Pixelmator/Mac can redo it.

Just to be clear, you are saying this applies to ALL processes? I can completely ignore White Balance in the camera because I am processing it myself in RAW editing? This would be useful to me because on the Lumix I can assign the WB button to a more useful function.

Yes, a RAW file is just that, a file, not an image at all. It contains all the RAW unprocessed sensor data and must be completely processed by the computer from scratch. There are various metadata tags about shooting settings (like WB etc.). for the RAW processor to use in it's initial default processing, but all that can be changed by you. Also, the histogram you're seeing in your application is only representative of what you're seeing on the screen with your current setting, NOT what is contained in the RAW file. There is often significant highlight detail still available to you despite your histogram/screen suggesting otherwise.

A link to your RAW would go a long way in helping us help you.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow