Wide angle lens for a7iv

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Groene plant New Member • Posts: 6
Wide angle lens for a7iv

I currently own an a7iv with Tamron's 28-200mm which I absolutely love, and the 17-28mm which I bought second hand and is the first time I tried a wide angle lens. Sadly I'll be selling the 17-28mm, too much money for a lens currently. I bought it for a holiday with the intention to test if I like a wide angle lens and then resell it with profit since it was a massive steal for a perfect lens.

I like having a wide angle, but do miss wide apertures as well. Coming from an a6400 + viltrox 23mm 1.4 & sigma 56mm 1.4. I often find myself in dark situations, caves, also dusty and lightly raining situations. I absolutely love the 17-28mm, but the f2.8 was sometimes lacking, having to shoot between 1/15 and 1/60 (for photographing people) at an ISO of 12.800-25.600. The camera can handle such ISO's, 12.800 is extremely clean, even better than 6400 on the a6400. But I'd prefer an f1.4 or 1.8 prime and dropping the ISO for a stop or 1⅔. Would also love to be able to shoot around 1/125 in such situations as well, since 1/30-1/60 tends to have quite some motion blur in half of the shots with people moving. No problems with static subjects, IBIS and a steady hand does really well.

I often found myself shooting at 17-22mm, so I'm thinking of a 18mm or 20mm f1.8 prime. I'm not sure about my options though. I prefer a weather sealed lens, because I tend to go into very humid or dusty locations and always bring my gear. Not too extreme, like heavy rain or sandstorms. But taking enough risks to prefer erring on the safer side. I only see really expensive lenses with weather sealing. Are there even any weather sealed f1.8 lenses at about 16-20mm? Preferably max €400,- second hand, doesn't have to be new.

Help is much appreciated!

Canon PowerShot A640 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow