How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 7,595
Only one possibility

How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

I have a Panasonic Lumix S5. It captures a RAW file and saves both that and a JPEG version of the same image. I have filters switched off. When I import the two files into an image editor they look completely different. Sometimes, I want to recreate the way my camera has processed the JPEG while editing the RAW image but I'm struggling to understand what it is doing and why.

Realistically, your best chance to achieve this is with whatever raw conversion software Panasonic includes with / for your S5. That may well have controls that, if set correctly, duplicate the in-camera processing used to create the JPEG, and then you can tweak from there--and/or export as a 16-bit TIFF, preferably in a wider color space, for further editing in your image processing software of choice.

Turning the output of the analog-to-digital converters for each of the camera's single-color pixels (being behind a red, green, or blue filter) into full color involves a large degree of interpretation. Then often other processing occurs on top of that: geometric distortion correction, noise reduction, sharpening, etc. There is no single, fixed, 'right' way or process, and it's as much art as science. Even the very basic issue of how the camera and/or the software determines, or is set to, the white balance parameters hugely affects the result.

Personally I find that usually I don't want to closely emulate the SOOC JPEG, but sometimes I do. And when I do, using my usual raw converter, DxO PhotoLab, sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. And on rare occasions I go back to the Sony or Canon software.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow