How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stephband
stephband New Member • Posts: 24
How do I processing RAW images in the same way my camera processes JPEGs?

I have a Panasonic Lumix S5. It captures a RAW file and saves both that and a JPEG version of the same image. I have filters switched off. When I import the two files into an image editor they look completely different. Sometimes, I want to recreate the way my camera has processed the JPEG while editing the RAW image but I'm struggling to understand what it is doing and why.

An example. Here's an image I shot last night. It's not terribly good, but it illustrates the problem...

the JPEG produced by the camera

A screenshot of the RAW image

We can see that that lava river in the JPEG produced by the camera is yellow, as it was on the night, whereas the RAW image has regions that are bleached white. Presumably it still carries the data to unbleach those white patches.
At first I thought this was simply a question of white balance, which I assume is not applied to the RAW image. But adjusting the white balance in an image editor does not solve the problem.

So what is the camera doing and how can I recreate what it is doing?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow