Huge files in Windows "System Volume" folder?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Redcrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,834
Huge files in Windows "System Volume" folder?

I'm 3 months on an all new desktop with Windows 11. Everything was settled down and running OK. Then, in the past 3 days, 4 huge files showed up in the mysterious "System Volume" folder on the OS drive. Total of 4 GB.

I've fought these before on previous Win10 machines, but this is the first time they have showed up on this new Win11 machine. The System Volume folder is hidden, so most users don't even know it's there. But when a system backup suddenly swells in size, that's a hint. The great freeware utility "Search Everything" finds them.

Sometimes Disk Cleanup gets rid of them. Sometimes deleting Restore points works (even though System Restore is disabled). Neither worked this time. But long ago I found a tip to use the command prompt utility vssadmin to resize shadow storage. That worked again today, but I'm still baffled.

What are these huge files in the System Volume folder? What is creating them, and why at apparently random times? I've got system updates locked out (update on my schedule, not Microsofts), so I don't think that's it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow