Should I buy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
earth_captured Forum Member • Posts: 88
Should I buy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4?

Six months ago I bought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but returned it to Amazon because of the problem it has with AF-S (basically, Sigma has confirmed that this lens will miss focus sometimes with AF-S but works fine with AF-C).

A couple of months ago I bought the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and I love it.

But I'm thinking of buying the 30mm again because, despite the occasional missed focus in AF-S, the shots I got were great: very sharp, nice bokeh, great colours, etc. I'm also more willing to use AF-C now, so the AF-S problem isn't a big deal for me anymore.

The only reason I'm hesitant about buying the 30mm again is that my 18-50mm already covers this focal length at f/2.8. What do you guys think? Would the 30mm give me something extra? Do any of you have both lenses, and if so do you still use the 30mm?

Edit: Also, I really like 30mm on APS-C. It's great for street, landscapes, flowers, etc. I want the lens but can't decide whether it'll be slightly redundant because of the 18-50mm.

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow