How to edit like the pro's?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
preferredfault Regular Member • Posts: 385
How to edit like the pro's?

I know this is a very expansive subject, so I don't expect it to be a step by step tutorial (nor suggestions to watch a video tutorial, because I've seen plenty), I just feel like I'm missing maybe some fundamental principles/practices/understandings here and there, to the point where I'm not even really sure where to start with what might help.

I'm familiar with adjustments, brushes, curves, color profiles, LUT's, and some color principles and such. But still, I just feel like editing things to look right or special can be a pain. Sometimes it's like writers block, where you know you have a good image, but you just don't know what to do to make it come alive. Sometimes you edit, think it's fine, give it some time and come back to it later and you're just not feeling the previous edits and just don't know where to go from there. Sometimes you just try to keep it simple, but it still feels lacking.

I shoot all kinds of different stuff, from street photography to landscape to macro, so obviously there is not a one size fits all solution, and I'm not sure if you can even have one personal style to apply to all of those different subjects. It's not like I don't have images I haven't done well on, but again, you obviously can't stylize everything the same, because the style you go with can change with the subject matter and mood of the photo itself.

I feel like I might actually be able to get on the right track, with the right guidance. And I guess that's really what I'm looking for, to just be put on the right track, whether it's the right frame of mind or workflow or things like that.

I know some might say "Well show us some of your work, and that'll give idea of how to assess the situation". But I think the issue is more fundamental than that, and not that easily solved. I could provide images that I am proud of, but that doesn't mean those edits would translate over to other images. Alternatively I could provide images I consider bad edits or seemingly un-editable, and that might seem more appropriate, but I think that's a bit too involved, and might not really help. I think just more generalized advice would be more beneficial.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow