First results with the R10

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,623
First results with the R10

Yesterday I had my first real outing with my R10 and I thought I’d share my first impressions. Long story short, I like the camera and think it’s a great value for $1000 but I do feel like I am running into some of its limitations. This isn’t to say that I couldn’t get really good with it after having more than a day and a half with it but there are some limitations that I personally find a little frustrating.

The R10 is noticeably compact and light but doesn’t feel cheaply built or flimsy. I could appreciate a little larger grip but do find the camera comfortable enough to use happily with one exception so far. When I mounted the RF 100-500 L I immediately found that I have to sort of jam my fingers between the grip and the lens barrel and it’s not terribly comfortable, especially after an hour or two of use. If you have thinner fingers it might not be a problem for you but for me it was a little disappointing. The RF 100-400 and the adapted EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, on the other hand, felt just fine on the R10.

I do find the shutter release button a bit mushy and am finding that it’s taking some getting used to. I think this will be less challenging with more experience but it doesn’t have the feel of fit and finish like the R7, R6 and other more expensive models.

When setting the camera up I discovered that I probably should have spent a little more time with the manual before making my purchase. With my other R cameras I have found that I like to have the area AF with animal eye detection assigned to the shutter release and the center AF point assigned to the AF On button. As far as I have been able to determine, that’s not possible on the R10. You can assign AF to both buttons, but they will be the same mode. So far my solution has been to simply use the shutter release with the center point and animal eye detection. This seems to work fine, but I do miss the my usual focus method.

One annoying surprise from the day were several lock-ups. During the day I experienced about a dozen lock-ups when using the adapted EF 500mm f/4L IS USM and the RF 100-500 L. I was using a Sandisk 64GB UHS-1 Extreme Pro SD card. It’s an older card and I’d like to test the camera more with different cards to see if it is an issue related to the memory card.

So with those few little grumbles out of the way, I think it’s fantastic that Canon is selling a ~$1000 camera with such an advanced AF system and silent shooting in drive mode with very fast frame rates. Overall, I’m enjoying using the camera and have, most importantly, been happy with the results.

Here are a few photos from the first day, EXIF data should be intact:

This little raccoon somehow managed to get trapped in a dumpster and thankfully was easy to free.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Canon EOS R10 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow