R7 IBIS--wow!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alastair Norcross
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 9,149
R7 IBIS--wow!

I have never had a camera with IBIS, before the R7, though I've had plenty of IS lenses. I just tried out the IBIS on the R7 with my RF 50 F1.8, which doesn't have IS. All I can say is 'wow!'. Here is a 100% crop from the center of a handheld shot at 1/15:

And here's the same (approximate) view at a full second, also handheld:

I very much doubt whether I'll want to take many handheld exposures at 1 second with this lens, but it's still pretty amazing what modern IBIS systems can do. I can see this being useful with a wide angle lens (perhaps my RF 16 F2.8) to get flowing water nicely blurred while keeping the rest of the scene sharp. I've done that at 1/2 second with my 11-22 IS on my M6II. I think I could easily use a full second with my RF 16 on my R7.

-- hide signature --

“When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car.” Jack Handey
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +28 more
Canon EOS R7 Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow