Canceling my R7 Preorder

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jesse Kramer Regular Member • Posts: 115
Canceling my R7 Preorder

I rented a R7….I am disappointed.

Coming from the 7Dmkii and then and R5, I was hoping for a worthy successor the 7Dmkii.

The mechanical shutter is too loud and too bouncy as a practical option for me, so I tried the electronic shutter at 15fps

I have taken tens of thousands of awful images with every digital camera I have ever owned and enough wonderful keepers to sustain me…it therefore comes down to the way the “tool” feels in my hand and the ease and sensibility of how the tool operates.

I have taken some of my very best bird photos long before eye tracking…..I use it, but it has not truly changed the percentage of “keepers” that I capture

The 7Dmkii felt great in my hand, and it’s functionality and ergonomics were excellent. I can say the same about my R5, but not because of its higher megapixels or its eye tracking

I rented an R3 and it worked very well for me, but I did not have more keepers than with my R5.

My lenses are just 2…RF 100-500mm and EF 600mm version 2

I would have gladly payed $2500 for a more pro bodied cropped sensor camera, and one that can use a battery grip

For me the R7 just ain’t it.

Too small when on the 100-500, the new button and dial layout is too awkward compared to the tried and true layout of the 7D, 5D series and the R5 and R3

As I said, I’m sure I can take just as many awful images with the R7, and have just as many keepers…….but it is not pleasing in the hand, the control layout is worse, and the absence of a battery grip are dealbreakers for me

I will be canceling my B&H preorder of two R7 bodies and keeping my R5. I will remain hopeful that a more pro level cropped sensor may come along down the road

-- hide signature --

Jesse

Jesse Kramer's gear list:Jesse Kramer's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow