Sometimes a nice place just isn't a nice photo...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Len Philpot
Len Philpot Regular Member • Posts: 426
Sometimes a nice place just isn't a nice photo...

...or is it?

I was at a small somewhat remote rec area yesterday afternoon, mostly just to check it out. I brought my camera, not expecting to take anything in the bright light. But there was quite a bit of shadow and I decided to push the button anyway. I didn't have a huge choice in viewpoint, since the water level was down. I was working between dry rock, mossy slippery rock and sand, pretty much all in the shade.

Kisatchie Bayou, Louisiana

That's about as close as Louisiana gets to a waterfall, folks. But when the water's up more there's a bit more action. Still, considering it was mid / late afternoon in August it was surprisingly pleasant out there. Unbelievably, no mosquitos! Although if I had waited around for dark I suspect that would've changed.

This image is ... OK ... I think particularly since it was just a shot of opportunity, with no advance knowledge of the location. But visually it's kinda chaotic, messy and lacks "focus" (both literally and figuratively)... probably mostly due to the operator behind the button, as it were. The far background was very bright, so the DR was high. There are some artifacts from a tad of highlight recovery, some CA from my lens near the edge, etc., etc.

What do you think?

While I was there, an ibis (I think, of some variety) worked its way down the bayou toward me, dining as it went. It was apparently very familiar with people, since it walked within about three meters of me and never blinked an eye. I was moving around, shooting the whole time and it just sauntered by.

However, photographically it was tough. It was in the shadows, the mostly monochromatic bird was backlit by a highly chromatic reflective water surface. I did my best (FWIW) to pull it out of the background, but it's only partially successful. Actually I love the way the silvery-green water looks in the original image, but I had to tone it down so it didn't totally overpower the bird (not completely sans artifacts).

There were a LOT of OOF shots!

But it was nice to be out, at any rate.

-- hide signature --

Len Philpot
Retirement: 4th best thing to happen to me

Len Philpot's gear list:Len Philpot's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Topaz Adjust Topaz DeJPEG Topaz Detail +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow