A few newbie fundamental lens questions...

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kenny202
Kenny202 Junior Member • Posts: 41
A few newbie fundamental lens questions...

Some of these may be "how long is a piece of string" questions, if so please forgive my ignorance

Started paying more attention to my lenses and aperture etc. Always seem to be a bit hit and miss with my results. I have noticed though some lenses seem to have a sweet spot.

I have mostly used aperture priority in the past usually working towards getting a decent shutter speed.....around 125.

I think I am missing something in regards to how the aperture itself effects the photo. I have some basic knowledge re you want bokeh or a blurred background use a lower F stop.....But generally say I was taking close photos say plates of food...and this would be generally speaking.....should I be going for a low, medium or high aperture?

To clarify when I talk about a low F stop I mean say 1.8 as opposed to what I would call a high F stop 11. I could have this all the wrong way around.

Generally my idea has been low F stop (1.8 - 3) for close work or portraits...medium F stop (6-8ish) for general outside stuff.....and maybe around 11+ for long distance or landscapes.

And I have noticed sometimes different photos I have shot (with the same lens) seem to have much better color rendition than others. Some are also a lot sharper than others.

Can anyone give me some pointers re achieving the best results in regards to aperture for sharpness and color vibrance, in regards to distance from subject,

My camera is an Olympus OMD EM-5 (V1) and have a few lenses.....Oly 14-42mm pancake, Oly 45mm 1.8 prime / portrait, Sigma18mm 3.5 Sigma prime, Oly 12-50mm

Also as far as prime lenses go.....the higher the number (mm) means the further you need to stand back? So my 18mm prime would be a wide angle? For eg my 45mm great lens but you need to be at least 6 feet away from your subject.

Appreciate any help (in lay mans terms lol)

Kenny202's gear list:Kenny202's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow