EOS R5. Any way to record video using h.265 settings?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan-Z Regular Member • Posts: 219
EOS R5. Any way to record video using h.265 settings?

So I mainly shoot wildlife photos (mostly birds) but every now and then I do want to capture some wildlife video as well. And I love how I can switch to video with just a click of that little red video button. I have my default set to 120 fps slow motion. The only problem I have since owning this camera is that I bought a CFEXPRESS card that apparently is not fast enough for filming in 120 fps, at least not for more than 15 or 20 secs before I get a message saying my card is too slow. Which is fine most of the time, because 15 secs actually equals to 1 minute after the R5 converts it straight to slow motion. I wish it didn't do that though, I'd rather have the option to do this in post.

So I've accepted this limitation and been okay with it as I didn't want to spend another $500 on a memory card while my old one sits on a shelf collecting dust. But a couple of days ago, my buddy received his new Nikon Z9 and I told him he should get a CFEXPRESS card as he won't be able to record video in slow motion etc. So he ordered one right away on Amazon. He's getting it today. But yesterday evening I went out shooting with him and he tested all the video recording options including slow motion and 8K, using his old and much slower XQD card and he had no problems. He never got a warning saying his card was too slow. So I passed him my CFEXPRESS Card and had him film a few examples on there so I could check them out at home.

So what I noticed first of all is that his file sizes are much smaller than mine. Then I checked the properties and noticed that he is recording in h.265 where as my videos are in h.264. Could this be the reason why Nikon is able to write data to a slower card? So I googled R5 and h.265 and see that they added it to the R5 with CLOG3. So I tried recording in CLOG3 and yes when I check the files, they are using h.265. But file sizes are exactly the same as non CLOG, probably because it's now capturing 10bit data vs 8bit, so the benefit of having better compression is negated by the fact that there is more data to compress. And my 120fps videos still timed out after 15 secs.  Anyway I'm not interested in using CLOG, I'm fairly happy with the colors I get straight out of the camera. I've tried it and it's too much work for me to manually do the color grading in post.

So my question is, since we know that the R5 does have h.265 capabilities, is there a way to have the regular (non CLOG) video use h.265 instead of h.264? I'd much rather have smaller file sizes and I'm hoping this will also let me record on my CFEXPRESS card without any limitations.

Dan-Z's gear list:Dan-Z's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow