Why didn't someone tell me!!!!

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 2,398
Why didn't someone tell me!!!!

That the distance numbers on the focusing ring on a manual focus lens are approximately a half or doubling of the adjacent distance numbers??? This is not intuitive as the numbers on my current lens are (in meters) 5, 3, 2, 1.5, 1, .8, .7, etc... But in action if I know where the distance of 5 is in focus, if I move it to 3, then the focus distance will half way between myself and the object at 5.
This one epiphany has made manual focusing a reflex and nearly as good as Autofocus.

Process: I dial up the "number" (I don't care about the real distance figure) to get close to focus, and then either focus zoom and/or use peaking to fine tune the sharpness by stepping forward or back, or a tiny adjustment on the focus ring.. But just a few rounds of practicing with the numbers has made it immensely easier to focus.

I am still playing with this but I am open to suggestions, and if I am right or wrong about this, still...

You guys should have told me!

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow