DNG Files

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
stativ Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: DNG Files

QuietOC wrote:

DNG is a proprietary format created by Adobe. I personally would rather avoid that company. They do offer software for converting raw files into that format.

Actually, DNG is open format, so in the long run it may indeed be better archival format. ARW is proprietary.

I've considered using DNG in the past for its space savings, because the size of DNG with lossless compression is half the size of ARW from A7R III.

I keep using ARW for now, mostly because Rawtherapee which I use for processing can squeeze a bit more resolution from ARW than from DNG (32 pixels more width). Don't take this as a problem of DNG though – it's because the DNG converter I was using (Digikam) was throwing away data around the borders that the camera claimed unusable and Rawtherapee gives slightly lower resolution image after removing these data. I discussed this on pixl.us - DNG output slightly cropped with no real solution.

-- hide signature --

My Instagram profile (mostly landscapes): https://www.instagram.com/l.jirkovsky/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow