Help with Workflow for Lightroom + apple photos? Storage strategy?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Be_the_change New Member • Posts: 21
Help with Workflow for Lightroom + apple photos? Storage strategy?

Hi,

Looking for ideas on how to improve my workflow and storage strategy.

1.  What is the best way to setup my folders and sort through photos when I have jpg and raw for each image?
All my photos are raw plus jpg because many I sometimes like having a jpg I can share easily without processing time.  When I import from my card into LR, I setup 2 album for each date, 1 for jpg and 1 for raw.  I then have to sort through both album which seems to be duplicative work.  Sometimes I don’t want the jpg but I can make the raw file of the same image usable through processing, so for some images I end up with a jpg, some a raw, and most images both raw and jpg.  I am looking for ways to make this easier and open to ideas.  Thoughts?

2.  What’s the best way to add my keepers from LR to apple photo? I like to have the photos sent to my apple photos because I also have iPhone photos and I like to have everything in one place.  I also don’t know when I might want to leave LR and it’s cloud storage plan.  I would like to only include the keepers so I don’t import all the photos into apple photo until after I sort them in LR.  I also like to upload the raw photos I process.  The challenge is that I am not sure what the most efficient way to get only the keepers from LR to apple photo.  Do I tag it in LR and then export then?  Create another folder?  Right now I have a piecemeal approach which is inefficient and incomplete.  When I finish raw processing, I export the jpg to apple photo.  My transferring jpgs is inconsistent but would like to do a better job at this so I can have a complete catalog.

3.  What do I need to do to improve my backup strategy?  I keep my photos on LR and have a cloud plan.  I also keep my photos on apple.  This gives me 2 cloud back ups.  I print my top 300 keepers each year and put them in a physical album.  I also tend to keep my SD cards and not erase them but they can fail too.  Do I need a separate storage device for redundancy? Or something else?  Since I am not a professional, the photos are just for me and my personal use but I would like to have a solid backup plan.  I lost a couple years of photos due to a technical issue and probably user error and it was painful.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow