Magenta tint in 50R/S files -- any progress?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Senior Member • Posts: 2,150
Magenta tint in 50R/S files -- any progress?

A few weeks ago I started a thread about a purple tint I was seeing in GFX 50R colour images. I thought it had something to do with the light in the specific place I was working, which had reddish soil, and a very deep, leafy green canopy on a sunny day. Thread participants concluded it was a white balance problem.

Well... there's more going on than white balance. Once I started seeing the tint, I was seeing it everywhere in my GFX 50R files. On my camera, it's actually quite bad and it seems to involve a strong tendency to magenta. In the three previous years I used the camera, I never saw this because my files only stayed colour for as long as it took to convert to black and white.

Now that I'm processing 1,000s of colour images for several projects, it's a huge pain. It's fixable, but it takes a lot of effort to fine tune to avoid making everything yellow-green.

I don't think it's just my camera. There are threads all over the Internet about this. Here's one where Chris Dodkin is trying (without success) to figure things out in the Adobe Community forum.

Lest you think I'm exaggerating, check out this comparison photo. I shot the same scene at the same time (seconds apart) with my Fuji X-T2 and my Fuji GFX 50R. The top row is X-T2, and bottom is GFX 50R.

Note the magenta tint in the GFX images, both JPEG and RAF

For the JPEGs, I used Provia/Standard. In Lightroom, I applied Adobe's version of Provia/Standard to the RAFs, which were made at the same time. The only edits are a crop to a small square that balances shadow and sun across the scene, lifting the shadows by +50 in all images, and dropping the exposure of the X-T2 images by 1/3rd stop to match the GFX exposure.

I checked to see if I could attribute this to something other than the camera itself:

• Monitor calibration (checked -- it's in spec), plus the magenta tint is visible across devices and screens
  • Profiles used (appears across all the colour profiles I tested in Lightroom, including the standard Adobe profiles and Adobe's versions of the Fujifilm film simulations)

Are you seeing this in your 50R/S files?

Did it carry over into the other GFX cameras, or is it limited to the original two?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
rbf
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow