Dust, scratches, and other pitas

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Joe Moche Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Dust, scratches, and other pitas

Michael Firstlight wrote:

Dust during film drying is usually the top cause. Do you use Photoflo in your final rinse?

I do.

Some of us dry in a drying cabinet - either a homemade cabinet or a commercial one (typically bought used off of eBay). The Jobo drying cabinet is very popular - it consists of a warm drying blower head (filtered) with a long, narrow plastic drying cabinet about 5-6 feet long. I have a used one I got off of eBay made by Prinz for about $50 (the identical Jobo is far too expensive). Unfortunately, these are getting quite rare

An alternative is to buy a narrow portable clothing zip-up closet from a big box home store or Walmart etc. Many others simply dry their film in a shower.

The shower is where I'm drying my film now.  I could turn on the water to steam things up a bit before hanging my film, but we're under some pretty serious water restrictions in Southern California right now, and if I have to choose between flushing the toilet and cutting dust, I gotta go with toilet   The zip up bags look like a possibility, but they all seem to be too short to hang a full roll of 35mm.  I've seen some diy solutions that use a plastic pipe equipped with a fan and filter, into which you put the film while still on the reel.  I may give that a shot, since I have all the pieces lying around, but it's hard to believe that I won't end up with severely curled film.

One trick I use is I reduce the amount of residual water on my negs before hanging is to pit my post-developed loaded reels in a salad shooter and spin the excess water off like this one

That seems like a reasonable idea.  Do you spin the reel after the Photoflow?

As someone else said, the enlarger plays a role. A diffusion enlarger will show a lot less dust than a condenser enlarger, and if you are scanning, a scanner with Digital Ice will significantly remove dust and scratches over a scanner without Digital Ice.

The enlargers at school are diffusion, as is my old enlarger.  I picked up one of those Ilford Pop-up darkrooms a couple of weeks ago (mostly to process direct positive paper "shot" in a 4x5 pinhole camera), so I may see if the enlarger will still turn on.  Most of what I scan is black and white, so Digital Ice is useless.  It does a pretty good job on my old color negs.

Finally, if you are an anti-dust maniacal like me, then some of us go all the way and put a HEPA air cleaner in the darkroom (sized appropriately) along with an ionizing air blower static eliminator like this one which keeps residual dust from sticking to just about everything.

Mike

Joe Moche's gear list:Joe Moche's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow