* The Weekly Image Thread 22 07 29 #705 *

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 5,132
Re: Floatplane

When it's personal it has impact.

The media ALWAYS publishes stories about crashes. It's their business to keep us reading so they can sell advertising. They never publish reports of successful flights, millions of them. That isn't exciting news. Nobody will read it.

In 1990 I had a 10 PM ticket on a commuter flight from Seattle to the Tri-Cities area in Eastern Washington. Twin engine 17 passenger turboprop. We had a thermal inversion over Mt. Rainier. That means it's colder at lower elevations. It's usually colder at higher elevations.

It was raining at higher elevations, freezing rain and sleet at lower elevations. When the plane came down the wings iced and lost lift. It pancaked on landing, broke apart, exploded and burned to the ground. No survivors. I saw it on the 11 PM news. I had the ticket in my hand. I wasn't feeling well that day so I decided to go the following morning. It shook me up but lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place.

My flight flew right over the crash site at low altitude as we came in for landing. There was nothing left but burned runway. Whatever remained of the plane and its contents was brushed off the runway. I swallowed hard but I did not expect my flight to crash. It didn't.

I think a fear of flying is healthy. There is a degree of danger in everything, even lying in bed. Lying in bed isn't so much fun though. I try to put on a rational spin and get on with it. Odds being what they are, fear of flying, even in a small single-engine plane is a phobia but lots of people have it.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow