Ballhead for Fujifilm GFX50s !! ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
RaajS Veteran Member • Posts: 6,642
Re: Geared head?

JimKasson wrote:

RaajS wrote:

Fully agree with Jim - I've found that no matter how good the ball-head, to adjust precisely for framing a composition, geared heads beat ball-heads hands-down. Especially with MF gear which typically weighs more than FF or smaller gear. With heavier lenses, adjusting ball-heads precisely after a shot for a different framing can be quite frustrating as the ball, when loosened, moves through several degrees of freedom at the same time. With a geared head with independent axis control, reframing is incredibly easy, without having to hold the camera or lens in position.

After I moved to a geared head, I stopped using ball-heads completely and they are not collecting dust!

If budget is not a constraint, the Arca-Swiss Cube is hard to beat. And it is well-nigh indestructible.

Keep it away from sand.

Jim also lists several other options in his very helpful link above.

I have heard people having issues with the Cube and sand.  I'm happy to report that I've had no issues with it at all in sandy environments so far - spent days traipsing around White Sands with it, for example.  A bit of dusting with forced air and it's good to go. So far at least.  I don't baby my equipment, though I do treat gear with respect.  So far so good.  It may well outlast me!

Cheers,
-raaj

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow