* The Weekly Image Thread 22 07 29 #705 *

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 5,130
Re: Floatplane

I don't think there is a better way to travel than by floatplane. Amazing for sightseeing. Relaxing. Makes landing in so many more interesting locations possible.

Wonderful in the Pacific Northwest where we have 300 islands in the Puget Sound to explore between the snowcapped Cascades, Olympics, and the coastal mountain of British Columbia, and Seattle, and Vancouver BC for backgrounds. Hard to beat this scenery anywhere in the world.

We have a floatplane harbor in Kenmore on Lake Washington and one on Lake Union not much further away in Seattle. Wish I had time to grab a camera and get up there for a scenic flight.

Fly out of either one to the San Juan Islands into Friday Harbor, or Rosario, into Victoria or Tofino on Vancouver Island. So romantic to land in one of these locations at sunset. Jawdropping, mesmerizing. Can't think of a better summer experience. Land in a deserted cove in Desolation Sound, British Columbia for an adventure.

I met a NetJets pilot on a commercial flight to Florida a few years ago. He was the first pilot they hired when they started the business. He told me he used to fly Warren Buffet into Seattle to pick up Bill Gates when they went off somewhere together. He said anytime he flew into SEATAC in good weather he always asked flight control to let him slow the plane down and idle in at 2,000 feet just to take in the scenery. That's saying a lot for a pilot who has flown into most airports everywhere in the world. Around here the air is a destination. You don't need to go anywhere but up and down. Having lived here for 19-20 years I've been on a lot of commercial flights in and out of SEATAC. Doesn't compare with experiencing it in a floatplane.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow